Upper Division Writing Course
This course will help students learn how to write, revise, and edit multiple drafts of a paper until it reaches the quality level appropriate for an AP or IB/HL class. By the end of the class, students will be able to write complex, sophisticated sentence structures that will improve writing. Several sessions of one-on-one time with the instructor are allotted.
This course will…..
- Master the writing and revision techniques that encourage higher level thinking, such as critical inquiry and the synthesizing of information
- Sophisticated peer review exercises that develop the ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Command of practical skills essay-writing skills, such as how to proofread carefully and identify grammatical errors in a piece of writing
- A thoroughly revised, researched, and cited 600 – 1,000 word essay, including a bibliography of works cited
- Familiarity with different types of citation methodologies such as MLA, APA, and Chicago
- Understanding how to avoid plagiarism when conducting research
- Understanding of how to support a thesis with multiple types of research, including primary and secondary sources
- Comfort giving and receiving critical feedback to facilitate the writing and revising of multiple drafts of a five-paragraph essay
- Good preparation for standardized tests
- Satisfies criteria for NCTE, IB, PISA, Cambridge, and Common Core standards
- A Certificate of Completion from Knovva Academy and corresponding transcript
About the Instructor
Martha M. attended Northeastern University, going on to achieve a Master’s in Education, with a focus on human development and psychology, from the Harvard Graduate School of Education. She is currently a senior curriculum designer at Knovva Academy.
This course includes:
- Format: Group class (5-7 students)
- Level 3
- Track: Research Essay
- Key Deliverables: 1 essay
- Standards: IB, PISA, Cambridge, and CCSS-ELA
- Certificate: Certificate of Completion and course transcript
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.