13 Countries 121 Students One GoalDesigned and built by Harvard scholars, Knovva’s Model G20 Virtual Summit is a novel platform for global youth leaders to connect and collaborate with the best and brightest students from over 30 countries. The Model G20 (MG20) is a five-day virtual summit where high schoolers from around the world convene for a true-to-life simulation of the G20 Summit: an international forum for the governments and central bank governors from 19 countries and the European Union. Through a series of workshops, formal and informal negotiations, and working in intercontinental teams, students hone their cross-cultural communication, strategic thinking, and leadership craft. Simulating roles of heads of state and ministerial members of the G20, students engage with the most pressing global challenges and explore collaborative solutions with their peers. THE NEW NORMAL: IMAGINING A POST-PANDEMIC WORLD The Summit is a series of role-playing games that give every student a set of unique responsibilities and stakeholders. “The entire Summit is devoted to student leadership – students decide what topics to cover in their budgets, they create their own plans, and at the end, students are the ultimate judges of the winners.” — William McGinty, Deputy Chair of the MG20 Committee Students engage in panel discussions and workshops to explore the following questions:
- How do nations strengthen frontline service for pandemic response?
- Faced with urgent short-term needs, what trade-offs are countries required to make, and how are nations rebalancing their priorities in the coming years?
- How do countries work to simultaneously rebuild their own economies while reforging the economic links between countries?
- To be nice and respect each other’s points of view, even if they did not agree with their peers
- To remember that only hard work yields success
- understanding the aims and goals of those around you
- convincing someone of what you want them to do by first understanding what they want rather than using an emotionally charged speech
- showing integrity and humility
- communicating clearly and often with your teammates
Get Leadership ExperienceNot only will you get to take on the role of a government official from one of the most powerful economic bodies in the world, or a leader of an international organization, but you’ll gain the opportunity to find your voice as a leader of your group.
Get to Know More PeopleModel G20 has a tradition of being a tight-knit community. Alumni stay connected and support each other throughout their high school and college life. You’ll chat, brainstorm, discuss, decide, and make lifelong friends with students from over 20 countries.
Get InformedHave fun taking a deep dive into our challenge. Deepen your understanding of political science and international affairs, and sharpen your skills in critical thinking, policy research, persuasive writing, and public speaking.
Get InspiredModel G20 is all about creating mutually beneficial agreements. You can achieve more when you work together to solve the world’s biggest problems.
Get AheadDistinguish yourself on your college applications and résumé by demonstrating a background in an academic extracurricular activity with a special interest in global affairs. “Do not let the world define your parameters in the way you are going to grow.” — President John F. Kennedy