The Foundations of Persuasive Writing
This course will help students learn the foundations of persuasive writing. Students will examine exemplar persuasive essays and learn to see the differences between strong and weak arguments. By the end of the course, students will know how to review and practice the fundamentals of crafting a traditional three-paragraph persuasive essay.
This course will…..
- Work in a variety of contexts including group exercises, completing individual assignments, and engaging with the instructor in one-on-one sessions
- Develop a strong argument and turn that into a persuasive essay that contains a thesis statement, citing supporting evidence, and a conclusion
- Introduction to the practice of providing feedback to peers, and incorporating the feedback they receive into their own essays.
- A well-cited 300-word persuasive essay
- 2-3 writing prompt responses to help build towards AP-level writing
- An understanding of the formats and purposes of citation
- A list of topics that can be used to write future essays
- Good preparation for standardized tests
- Satisfies criteria for Knovva Academic Standards, based on IB, PISA, Cambridge, and Common Core standards
- A Certificate of Completion from Knovva Academy and corresponding transcript
About the Instructor
Amanda has 17+ years of teaching experience in high school, and middle school in the top ranked public and private schools in the US and UK.
With a deep passion for English language art, writing, research, and public speaking, she prioritizes challenging yet fun writing experiences for students. Also helped many students with writing competition and AP level preparation.
Amanda received her BA in Secondary Education with a major in English from Central Michigan University and her MA in Education in Curriculum and Instruction from North Carolina, Charlotte.
This course includes:
- Format: Group class (5-7 students)
- Level 1
- Track: Persuasive Essay
- Key Deliverables: 1 essay and 2-3 writing prompts
- Certificate: A Certificate of Completion from Knovva Academy and corresponding transcript
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.