Personal Essay & Opinion Editorial Course
This course will help students practice communicating their unique perspectives. Both the personal essay and the opinion-editorial (op-ed) require writers to articulate their thoughts and feelings about a topic or experience in a way that is engaging to the reader. After this course, students can submit their work to upcoming personal essays and opinion editorial contests.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the structures of, and differences between, the personal essay and the opinion-editorial (op-ed)
- Implement diverse writing techniques to express ideas in engaging ways
- Understand and analyze English-language personal essays and op-eds
- Plan, draft, and revise work in the style of personal essays and an op-eds
- Draft and make significant revisions to their own English writing
- Provide revision feedback to classmates
- One 500-1000 word personal essay
- One 500-1000 word opinion-editorial (op-ed)
- Two 200-word analysis and reflection essays about their personal essay and op-ed
- Two creative nonfiction development plans
- A list of strong topics to use in future creative nonfiction writing endeavors
- Good preparation for standardized tests
- A Certificate of Completion from Knovva Academy and corresponding transcript
About the Instructor
Amanda has 17+ years of teaching experience in high school, and middle school in the top ranked public and private schools in the US and UK.
With a deep passion for English language art, writing, research, and public speaking, she prioritizes challenging yet fun writing experiences for students. Also helped many students with writing competition and AP level preparation.
Amanda received her BA in Secondary Education with a major in English from Central Michigan University and her MA in Education in Curriculum and Instruction from North Carolina, Charlotte.
This course includes:
- Format: Group class (5-7 students)
- Level: Competition Prep
- Track: Academic writing
- Key Deliverables: 1 personal essay, 1op-ed, 2 self-analyses, 2 creative nonfiction development plans
- Standards: IB, PISA, Cambridge, and CCSS-ELA
- Certificate: Certificate of Completion and course transcript
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.