Turning a First Draft into an Award-Winning Essay
This course will help students complete in-class exercises and homework assignments to practice creating more complex and advanced claims. They will respond to prompts that have them focus on descriptive writing to clearly articulate their arguments, use more complex language, and gain a reader’s interest. Students will examine various citation techniques (MLA, Chicago, APA) and persuasive essay styles such as Classical and Rogerian.
This course will…..
- Familiarity with different types of citation methodologies such as MLA, APA, and Chicago
- Responses to writing prompts in both Rogerian and Classical persuasive writing style
- Understanding how to avoid plagiarism when conducting research
- Understanding of how to support a thesis with multiple types of research, including primary and secondary sources
- Comfort giving and receiving critical feedback to facilitate the writing and revising of multiple drafts of a five-paragraph essay
- A thoroughly revised, researched, and cited 750-1,000 word essay, including a bibliography of works cited, that is appropriate for an AP or IB/HL class
- Good preparation for standardized tests
- Satisfies criteria for Knovva Academic Standards, based on NCTE, IB, PISA, Cambridge, and Common Core standards
- A Certificate of Completion from Knovva Academy and corresponding transcript
About the Instructor
Rachel L. respectively, graduates of the University of Texas at Austin and Harvard University. Before joining the faculty at Knovva Academy, Rachel worked in higher education as a program manager for blended learning programs at Harvard University. Also, worked as an instructor at the Harvard Center for Workforce Development.
This course includes:
- Format: Group class (5-7 students)
- Level 3
- Track: Persuasive Essay
- Key Deliverables: 1 essay
- Standards: IB, PISA, Cambridge, and CCSS-ELA
- Certificate: Certificate of Completion and course transcript
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.