Short Story & Poetry Course
This course will help students explore their creative sides! We will focus on the short story and the poem. The course will begin by exploring the short story, including analyzing story structure, reviewing great short stories, completing writing prompts and exercises, and participating in writers discussion groups. After this course, students can submit their work to upcoming short story and poetry contests.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the structure of the short story
- Describe and utilize techniques to express ideas in engaging ways
- Understand and articulate the purpose of the different elements of the poetic voice, as well as the different forms poetry can take.
- Read and analyze short stories and poems by famous writers in the English language.
- Plan, draft, and revise original poems and short fiction
- Draft and make significant revisions to their own work
- Provide revision feedback to classmates
- One 500-1000 word short story
- Three poems in their chosen format(s)
- Two 200-word analysis and reflection essays about their short stories and poems
- Two creative writing development plans
- A list of strong topics to use in future creative writing endeavors
- Good preparation for standardized tests
- A Certificate of Completion from Knovva Academy and corresponding transcript
About the Instructor
Rachel L. respectively, graduates of the University of Texas at Austin and Harvard University. Before joining the faculty at Knovva Academy, Rachel worked in higher education as a program manager for blended learning programs at Harvard University. Also, worked as an instructor at the Harvard Center for Workforce Development.
This course includes:
- Format: Group class (5-7 students)
- Level: Competition Prep
- Track: Creative writing
- Key Deliverables: 1 short story, 3 poems, 2 self-analyses, 2 creative writing development plans
- Standards: IB, PISA, Cambridge, and CCSS-ELA
- Certificate: Certificate of Completion and course transcript
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.